Ryan-Ashley of S&B, and Paris of Paris Woodhull Illustrations have joined forces to offer a three hour, immersive workshop that not only teaches students how to transfer designs to fabric and complete a professional-looking embroidery project, but also provides an opportunity to discuss what feminism means to us with a focus on how to use art and fashion as vehicles by which we communicate ideas about gender, equality, history, and hope.
In class, you will be provided with both the Feminist AF design as well as the Stay Human design, both hand-illustrated by Paris, and will choose one to work on during class, during which, you will…
- …learn about the different types of embroidery threads available and how to handle each differently
- ...master the backstitch
- …learn how to transfer designs to fabric
- …learn to use an embroidery hoop
- …be provided an open and friendly environment to discuss thoughts on feminism, activism, slactivism, art, and…whatever else comes to mind!
You will be provided the following to keep and take home:
- A canvas tote with one of the designs as mentioned above
- Embroidery hoop
- Embroidery thread + needle
- 2 sheets transfer paper + transfer pencil (in case you need a back-up)
- Second design to embroider at home
- Backstitch instruction booklet
After the class, you’ll receive a follow up email with the following resources:
- Supplies used in class — what they are and where to find them
- A digital version of the instruction booklet (Including printable versions of both designs in case you would like to embroider future projects!)
- List of artists using art to share their feminist ideals
- List of feminist materials — books, articles, musicians (including a 90’s Power Bitch playlist that Ryan-Ashley made for Paris’ birthday!)
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PS. When you checkout, please specify in the ‘notes’ section which design you would like to embroider in class so we can have your tote all set and ready :)
Look forward to seeing you!
Paris + Ryan-Ashley